Hawk Journalism Staff

Angie Arndt - Elementary Principal and Special Education Director

Nebraska ChildFind provides information to parents, school personnel, and service providers on child development and special education for children from birth to age 5.  ChildFind also helps parents access information on rights and resources to help them advocate for an appropriate education for their child.

Does your child have trouble hearing, speaking, seeing, walking or taking part in activities with other children?  Or are you concerned about your child’s physical condition, learning or development in other areas?

ChildFind is part of the Nebraska Early Learning Network, which may be able to help families with infants and toddlers that experience developmental delays, genetic syndromes, medical impairments, as well as many other disabilities, through service coordination and other services.

What is Early Development Network Service Coordination?

Services Coordination means a central contact person, known as the services coordinator, is assigned to each family.  Services Coordination helps families of children with special needs below age three:

  • Find services to meet developmental, education, financial, healthcare, child care, respite care and other needs

  • Link with needed services

  • Work with multiple providers to make sure services are provided as needed

Why is Services Coordination Needed?

Nebraska families of children with special needs have found it difficult to locate needed services for infants and toddlers with disabilities and then to coordinate the services with multiple providers.

Service Coordination:

  • Allows families easy access to community services

  • Makes current services stronger

  • Avoids duplication of services

  • Develops resources when needed

  • Makes it clear to families what they can expect from state and community agencies

Who is Eligible for Services Coordination?

Eligible families are those with an infant or toddler below age three who has a disability or developmental delay and qualifies for Special Education through a public school.  Year-round services coordination is provided at no cost to families.

How Can Families Apply?

To request Early Development services for your child or to refer a child in your area, call the local number listed below.  With prior parental permission, referrals may be made by anyone who suspects a developmental delay in an infant or toddler.

Nebraska Early Development Network

“Babies Can’t Wait” ~ Service Coordination

Head Start Child and Family Development

 123 S. Marian Road~ Hastings, Ne 68901

402-462-4187 or 1-800-782-7850